Thursday 12 September 2013

FIRST ANALYSIS

Vee Speers

FACTUAL
This photo was taken by Vee Speers and it's title is Imortal #3 taken in 2010. In Vee Speer's portfolio he has a range of photos titled 'Immortal' he uses beautiful youths and sets them against backgrounds of post-apocalyptic destruction.  These immortals are real, natural beautiful people, but they seem isolated. This photos price range starts from £5,800-£16,500.

CONTEXT
All the photos in Vee Speers 'Immortal' collection contain pictures of young people, sitting or standing against natural backgrounds. Half naked, although covering their body parts makes the photos really stand out. All the youths seem isolated, exposed and vulnerable, trapped, distant, on guard, defiant and insecure.

TECHNICAL
If you look closely the background looks like it was painted, that is probably because the point of focus is the lady in the front even though the background is also in focus. The first thing I look at when I see the picture is her; mainly because she's bald, naked and looks extremely distant from everything that's happening. The quality of this photo is high standard, you can see the reflection of light in her ear, the tufts of hair on the top of her head, the individual strands of grass etc.

AESTHETIC
I picked this photo out of the 17 in the 'Immortal' section because it stood out to me like none of the others did. The fact she's naked, bald and dark coloured skin makes me think of slavery in the past. Especially as the background is something set on fire and her face looks sad and trapped. When I first looked at this photo I thought that she was running away from a fire or watching one happening, but when I looked at it closer I found something else. To me, it looks like a lady that used to be a slave and she ran away but then her old master found her and abused her, then set her house on fire. I absolutely love this photo, it really speaks to me. 

- madeleine mason
GCSE PHOTOGRAPHY 2013
#1 blogpost

No comments:

Post a Comment